Friday 25 February 2022

Learning From The Mistakes

Tuesday’s 2-0 reverse to Milton Keynes followed hot on the heels of Saturday’s 4-0 hiding to Oxford.

At least we started a bit better in midweek and had a pretty decent first half all things considered. Once MK scored it was effectively game over.

The second half saw us mostly chasing shadows. The second goal was inevitable.

As I was off work and in London too, I opted to attend a rare Tuesday night game. Finally getting home at 12.30am after watching another pretty gutless performance I did wonder why I’d bothered?

However, supporting most teams isn’t done in the expectation of winning or even seeing any decent football in our case quite frequently! We go in hope and because it goes with the territory of being a fan.

I do find myself wondering at Jackson’s tactics and team selection. After Saturday, Matthews and Gilbey shouldn’t have been anywhere near the team. I’d have been miffed if they’d been on the bench.

In Gilbey’s case not only did he start but he retained the captain’s armband!

I still want Johnnie as our manager but he has to start learning and appreciating that in order to play any formation or system you do need to personnel to deliver it.

Devoid of any experienced striker at least then this isn’t going to work. I hope he adjusts things for tomorrow’s trip to Sheffield.

I don’t do many away games (this is my second in this campaign the other being MK away but that’s on my doorstep so hardly a huge effort on my part).

After Saturday and Tuesday my decision to follow the boys to Hillsborough seems somewhat off the mark. Especially as there’s no real prospect seeing a return of any of the vital components that give us even half a chance of getting any kind of a result.

I expect nothing less than a defeat by at least 2 goals. One of these will definitely be scored by Barry Bannan. As much as he’s far from our favourite player, he is quality and Wednesday were lucky that he’s stayed loyal to them. A good game form him is assured.

To add to all of the above, Wednesday didn’t play in midweek and have had a full week ahead of the game.

I note that another Football For A Fiver game is set to take place on Saturday 19th March when we entertain Burton. These initiatives are good if they’re used wisely.

However, they’ve been so frequent along with the free tickets for season ticket holders and the other freebies that have been handed out that even die-hard fans who blindly renew every year will start to question the sense in doing so again.

That I pay £575 (the top price in League One I believe) for my ticket is bad enough. However, I need to see some indication that my team will be challenging at the top of the division.

A radical rethink is needed in terms of the pricing and treatment of season ticket holders. I need a better reason to renew that just the tug on the heart strings!

On Tuesday I was able to use my 20% off a drink voucher that was specifically assigned to that game. It was marketed as something else, however, that aside, I sure need more.

As mentioned above I typically don’t do midweek games and having had a couple of games moved from more convenient days means I miss out further.

I accept that I won’t make all home games but it is a further consideration. At season’s end I reckon that I could have bought or got tickets on a game by game basis and saved myself a fair amount of dosh.

I need to see sensible pricing, early planning and investment in the team, Jackson told he’s manager next season and the appointment of a proven CEO at a minimum.

We can’t afford for Thomas to be learning on the job as it appears. If he’d sought counsel of those experienced folk with strong connections and experience of the club he’d be in a better place.

His position in respect of the naming of the Charlton Women’s team is a case in point in showing how stubborn he can be.

As I’ve observed before, it’s ok to make mistakes as long as you learn from them.  Both he and Jackson need to do so and fast!

All that aside, we have an increasing fight on our hands to stay in this league. I’d like to be confident that we will but after the next two games we could well find ourselves right in amongst it.

I pray we can get something from tomorrow but will be amazed if we do. We live in hope!

Come On You Reds!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment