Monday 28 February 2022

And Defeat Goes On!

Another game, another defeat and another clean sheet one for the oppo! That’s 3 in a row now!

I travelled to Sheffield in expectation. The expectation being that, football aside, I’d have a good day out with a few beers and a few laughs.

It was a fair old trek to the Steel City even from Milton Keynes. Stops at Tamworth and Derby before finally arriving.

An hour’s break between trains at Tamworth allowed time for a decent brekkie nearby.

The next train, which was en route to Edinburgh, was rammed completed with a hen party that seemed pretty wasted at 11am. I dread to think what some of them were like later!

A swift beer in a pub near the station was followed by settling into one of the Wetherspoons. We got to the 2pm mark and it was time to decide whether to get another beer in or board the tram then.

You’ll not be surprised to learn that the decision was to have another beer as we were in no desperate hurry to get to the ground.

We only just missed kick off but not goal so you can see we weren’t that late!

Twas a dreadful game as Wednesday like Oxford and MK before them cantered to an easy win. Again it was pretty much game over as soon as the Sheffield side scored their first.

I’m still backing Johnnie to come good but he’s not making it easy for me nor anyone else for that matter.

If you don’t have the personnel for a system then you need to change it. It seems nothing was learned from the previous defeats. We set up the same with largely the same players that have been letting us down time and again.

How on earth is Gilbey skipper? He shouldn’t be in the side let alone taking the captain’s armband.

Confidence is at an all time low with most unable to pass a ball over 10 or so yards. Communication and fight are virtually non-existent.

I missed the second goal as I took the option to nip down for a beer.

The second half pretty much passed me by much like the eleven men in red on the pitch in front of me. The only thing that concerned me was why we weren’t wearing white shorts and had opted to match the home team’s back ones.

Post match we managed to sneak into Weds’ equivalent of the Fans Bar. You’ll be pleased to know that it wasn’t as good as ours and that’s what really matters eh?

Back on the tram and time enough to get supplies for the journey home and a lovely pint of porter in the station. It was the best beer I had all day!

I can’t remember the last time I saw us play 4 consecutive games but Saturday’s game against Sunderland will see me do just that. Unluckily for me of course that this coincides with our worst run in living memory outside of the top flight!!

I pray that we get some strikers back and that one or two of our finest might be able to stir themselves to give a damn and put in a shift.

Why is our injury record so poor? Even when we sign fit players they’re soon out for months!

I’ve had a dodgy knee for the last 3 years and was thinking I might approach the club to enquire as to whether I could secure a 2 or 3 year contract. Hopefully, they can accommodate me in the treatment room and have a space on the bench when I’m feeling a bit more mobile!

After that I would be able to retire happy in the knowledge that I’ve fulfilled a dream!


No comments:

Post a Comment