Friday 20 October 2023

Elizabeth Line Derby

It was with great foresight that the Elizabeth line was commissioned by planners that appreciated that come the 2023/24 season it would be needed to transport fans both ways for their respective league encounters. 

The first instalment of the Elizabeth Line derby takes place tomorrow and such is the plight of the Royals, especially when playing away that The Addicks are favourites. Oh dear! That’s never a good position for us as any seasoned Charlton fan will attest. 

Appleton is unbeaten to date as Charlton manager so what could possibly go wrong! I suspect I won’t be the only one having a small wager on an away win in order to soften the blow should it come to pass. 

As referenced above, it is the away form that has been the issue for the Berkshire Boys this season. They have secured some good wins at home although in a couple of matches the oppo has suffered a red card I note although in one of those it was so late as to make no real difference. 

Reading have had a tough time of course with bad owners and we know all about them eh? It’s to be hoped that their fortunes turn around and things improve for them. 

Amongst their ranks is 20 year old Charlie Savage, son of Robbie. It’ll be interesting to see if Young Savage (one for Ultravox fans!) possesses the same combative style as his dad. 

Dom Ballard on loan from Southampton is also one to watch and I’m delighted to say an ex-Addick is in their ranks in the form of goalkeeper, David Buttton. He played a handful of games for the Addicks in the 2012-13 season. 

I can’t see us setting out much differently to how we did last time. I do hope that Aneke is held back as sub as I feel that’s he’s most effective coming on from the bench. 

Despite Fraser being fit again I believe Louie Watson deserves a start over him. 

Namesake Tennai came in for some criticism last time that I felt was unwarranted. I’d have him start again. 

Whatever the starting eleven one hopes that we don’t see repeat of the first half bad, second half good scenario. We need to be more clinical in and around the box and cut out the silly defensive errors.    

Come On You Reds!

2 comments:

  1. So did you wager an away win. I hope you lost a fortune mate!!! You are a rubbish supporter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I thought I'd did qualify that comment by saying that a seasoned Addicks fan might expect us to lose (sic). I also said that it would soften the blow if we did. I didn't say I wanted us to lose simply because I never would. I'm sorry if you feel that makes me a rubbish supporter. BTW I put £1 on Reading to win so I haven't lost the house just yet!

      Delete