Sunday 6 February 2011

Perfect Powell

BWP on the goal trail again.

Sir Chris' bandwagon rolls on following his first away victory. 3 wins on the trot and no goals conceded, don't think we can ask for much more than that. Our canny knight has certainly sorted the defence. Sadly Bessone didn't make it and Fry came in for him making the only change to the eleven that started on Tuesday.

I was watching / listening to the t'internet barely able to settle after we went one up for fear of an equaliser or worse should I dare to sit down for a moment. Funny our silly superstitions, during the 97-98 season a particular pair of pants saw themselves all the way to Wembley...........I should make it clear that I was wearing them although I'm sure they were taking on a life of their own by the end !

Not a great game by all accounts but who really cares it's all about the points. I'll be surprised if we don't concede against free-scoring Peterborough next Sautrday and we can but hope that we outscore..........I think a repeat of the 5-1 scoreline at their place is to much too hope for. I'll happily settle for a more sedate 1-0 home win thank you.

Hopefully BWP can reman injury free because we're going to need his goals. Not sure where else we're going to get them from although cleary Ecclestone ought to be able to deliver given a chance.

The weekend started well with England's reasonably comfortable 6 Nations win over Wales on Friday evening. Sterner tests to come but a good start and I think they can play better. The Irish came close to defeat against the Italians on Saturday who so nearly did us a favour.

The sacking today of Roberto Di Matteo is rather foolish one by the Baggies in my opinion. He's a quality manager who has had them playing some good football overall. Their defensive frailities are there for all to see but I didn't view them as being in bottom 3 at the end of the season. However, the reality is that 3 teams will end up there. I believe, like Newcastle beofre them, they've made a big mistake.

I never quite understand the timing of these thngs. Did the chairman really think they'd overcome Man City ? Fact is after going 3 - 0 down they seemed to play quite well in the second half with a spirited display.

Like Hughton he hasn't spent a lot of money and there's a lot to be said for finiancial stability. They'll now be bringing someone in who can't buy during the transfer window. They may well stay up but I think Di Matteo could have achieved that for them.

Such is the depseration to stay in the Premier league that all sense goes out the window it seems. If only we could return to the days of sensible ticket pricing and salaries to match. I can but dream......

No comments:

Post a Comment