Tuesday 21 August 2012

How Much Is That Doggy In The Window

About £2,000 in Harrods since you ask........

Yesterday I had a day in the Metropolis with my partner. It was a nice, if hot and tiring day. With travelcards purchased from Milton Keynes Central, London was almost our oyster ( card ) !

We made our way to Embankment Pier to board a boat to North Greenwich. Those travlecards got us discount of a third off the price and we travelled for £4 each. A thoroughly enjoyable trip saw us take in numerous London landmarks although disappointingly the Olympics Rings on Tower Bridge were raised, not lowered. I guess this is due to the hiatus before the Paralympics but I can't see why they couldn't stay in place.

However, we sped onto North Greenwich and once there boarded the cable car. Those travelcards came to the fore again as we secured more discount and bought single fares at a cost of £3.20 each. The views were great ( for a more detailed and comprehensive review of the cable car check out Drinking During The Game blog where in June, Dave gave a very good account ).

From Royal Victoria Dock it was onto Knightsbridge by which time we were both hungry and thirsty. Given that we were in such an affluent area and with my penchant for knowing how to give a woman a good time, I made use of the McDonalds vouchers we got from a bloke just outside the tube station. £1.99 each later and we'd each secured a Big Mac and medium soft drink ( I did pay for hers btw ! ).

We took the opportunity to visit Al-Fayed's former corner shop. The Egyptian escalator ( which ironically doesn't allow pushchairs ) took us to the pet store where, as I alluded to above, puppies are £2,000 each. They looked cute but that was the sting in the tail !

Harrods is the shop with something for everyone and I couldn't help but feel that the current VW Golf ads could easily be bought to real life there. We resisted the temptation to buy sweets at £6 a quarter.

Having looked but not bought we had a pleasant stroll onto Chinatown. Plenty of choices of places to eat but you do need to be careful. Having settled upon our restaurant of choice we discovered the advertised meal wasn't as good as it sounded where a meal for two meant the sharing of single dishes ! The sharing of most things, let alone food, is an anathema to me so we left and went elsewhere, I'm glad we did.

Our dining took place in the Kowtoon Buffet on Gerrard Street and I can recommend it. Nothing fancy and you need to pay cash up front. Plenty of choice for starters and mains with the option of clean, fresh salad too if you wanted. In good old Marie Antionette fashion, they even let you eat cake !

Our meal with a soft drink each was £24.20 for both of us, all very good value I felt. Following that it was off to Euston satisfied that we'd had a good day and not spent loads of dosh in doing so.

Ok that was yesterday and before Ketts moves me off this site and banishes me to Tripadvisor, I suppose I'd better pen a few words on tonight's game versus Leicester City. 

Adam Werritty - a big fan of the Foxes

I quite like Leicester City and have fond memories of a sort of when we played them away on a Tuesday some years ago. I was working shifts at the time and me and a few mates had several beers during the day before leaving and once there too. I recall that we won 2-1 and even that I wasn't too sure about at the time as the beer certainly to its toll that day !

Nigel Pearson surprised me by returning to the club that treated him rather shabbily given his achievements during his first spell in charge. Pearson is a manager of proven quality and will always produce decent sides.

The Foxes bring former Addick and former youngest Charlton player, Paul Konchesky back to the Valley tonight. Konch gave sterling service to the Addicks although I felt his belief that he should play at left back in those Prem days was somewhat misguided. For me, Konch was always a better left sided midfielder who took a mean free kick. I hope he is given a good reception tonight.

Someone who probably won't get a good reception from the oppo's fans at least is Yann. I dare say he is expecting that and he'll been keen as mustard to put one over City and prove a point in the process. 

Let us not forget another man with Leicester connections and that's Sir Chris. He made a big decision to move away from there as assistant to Sven in order to join us and take the plunge into management. Not a bad move as it happens eh ? Foxes fans will recall that Sir Chris has a 100% win record as their manager !

Leicester are another side, like Brum, who'll be there or thereabouts come the end of the season and it will be a tough game. However, we should take heart from Saturday's performance. I'd happily settle for another draw meaning that we remain undefeated. A win with the winner from Yann remains the ideal scenario though of course !

Come On You Reds !

No comments:

Post a Comment