Friday 30 March 2012

The O Zone

It would appear that Chelsea and Stonehenge are most at risk from the destruction of the Ozone layer.

I must confess that alleged eroding of the ozone layer doesn't worry me too much especially if it's going to bring  the sort of good weather we've enjoyed of late. You might say I've got my priorities wrong but I'm more concerned that I'll be paying vat on my pasty. What nonsense that is ! I can only hope that the EU can come to my rescue. 

Tomorrow the O Zone, more commonly known as the East End, descends on the Valley in the hope of being the only team to do the double over us this season. I'm fairly confident that this won't be the case.

My mate Gary, aka Geezer, is an O's fan and we will be imbibing before the game. How things have changed, I recall sharing a jar or two prior to our last FA meeting and him telling me how genuinely pleased he was that the O's were playing a big club like Charlton. We were in the Prem then of course. Tomorrow should prove to be an important and decisive step to getting our fortunes back to where they were. I don't mean the Prem as such but the Championship.

Aside from be able to name just about every East European railway station, don't ask, Geezer has a good knowledge of the lower leagues. He thinks another couple of wins and draws will see Orient safe for another season. He has identified Wycombe as the only one of the bottom four that could potentially catch them although as he rightly observes Bury are in freefall and could possibly snatch a relegation spot.

I believe that their having not only played midweek but winning too means we really ought to be taking the 3 points. That win eased the pressure a little and a win at the Valley isn't as desperate as it once was.

If we are to avoid the unwanted double tomorrow then we'll need to play with confidence and freedom, oh and a half decent referee would be nice too.........they seem to be in very short supply in the third tier !

The O's have found goals hard to come by in this campaign and shouldn't come with a physical approach. For me that means that Pritchard should partner Hollands in midfield. Failing that then Hughes more than deserves his chance, we've always looked good when he's partnered Hollands as he seems to bring out the best in Danny in allowing him to get forward more and scoring too. He was almost prolific at one stage.

I'm assuming that Skip still isn't fit so who will occupy the wide positions ? Sorry but hopefully not Wagstaff. I'd give Cook a start and probably Green. Yann should return so his fellow countryman should be on the bench to come on later to make an impact. I'd like to see N'Guessan up front at some stage.

Cort ought to retain his place in defence alongside player of the season, Solly with Morrison and Wiggins.

Ideally we will find ourselves 3 or 4 goals up early into the second half and Sir Chris can experiment and also rest a few players. Mind you whatever the situation I'll not be holding my breath as I sometimes wonder if he's stuck in a pre-Peacock state of mind.......subs are not allowed ! 

A few old Charlton players return tomorrow not least amongst them " Young Kevin " who will always provide a goal threat. As I've remarked before SKL is a player we let go too early. He'd have done a good job for us in the Championship......another one of Pardew's great decisions ( he's still to refund me my money for the weekend in Blackpool - what a disaster ! ).  

I'm really looking forward to the game and trust the players get good, positive and vocal backing. It's not a time to get on their backs. They have achieved a lot this season and all the other clubs in the league would happily swap places places with us.

Come On You Reds !

No comments:

Post a Comment