Monday 23 November 2009

No,No,No,No-vil



Despite the wind and rain of biblical proportions on Saturday I enjoyed a rather splendid day. Arriving at just before 1pm we received a fantastically warm welcome from the locals. We were directed to a marquee serving food and beer. It was all very pleasant with an amusing guy on the PA encouraging us to buy raffle and lottery tickets.

The raffle was drawn by Trevor Peacock best known as Jim Trott from The Vicar of Dibley. He too proved to be entertaining.

This pre-match experience made me think that this was what football was all about. Two sets of fans having a beer together with some of these home supporters doing their best to raise some much needed funds for their club.

It looked awful on the terraces but I must confess to being in a home stand as a result of it being my nephew's birthday treat with 10 of his friends there. He lives in Somerset and a couple were Yeovil fans. Whilst I stayed dry my sympathies were very much with the Addicks fans who endured the awful conditions.

I never go into much detail on games, others do that far better than I. However, I will observe that switching Youga to play Basey made little sense to me when you've got a proper right back on the bench. In addition, I felt that long before Ikeme ballooned the ball up in the air that led to the goal someone should have instructed him to play it out to one of the full backs or at least kick it wide. Why he chose to boot the ball down the middle and so high into the gale I'll never understand. It was asking for trouble.

Full credit to Parky for the substitution at half time.......a very positive move. It paid dividends and how we didn't get win again I'll never know. The players gave it everything. Only Huddersfield seem to have closed on us after all the results are considered

We face another must win game tomorrow. Rovers will be without Dickson who can't play due to the terms of his loan deal. That won't make a lot of difference as judging by comments from Rovers fans on Radio Somerset on Saturday they don't hold him in high regard at the moment. They think he's not trying and have lost patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment