Friday 2 January 2015

My Cup Runneth Over

 
A break from league action tomorrow for our boys and for some it may be a break altogether if Bob decides to rest some players. Mind you he's not got many options in that regard with the injury list and size of our squad such as they are !
 
I had intended to go tomorrow but my usual partners in crime aren't going, I don't fancy it on my own and to be fair I do have some other matters to attend to ( I know, I know, what could be more important than football ? ).
 
We all know our record in cup competitions, not just the FA one. Occasionally we offer some false hope of getting a sniff of Wembley even if it's just the semis but we always get let down.......see last season for the most recent example.
 
The tie isn't appealing to the fans of either side to be honest. Both teams may want to rest players with an eye on the league but for differing reasons. Rover will believe they've a sniff of the playoffs and we desperately need to arrest a poor run of form.
 
As so often seems to be the case we face Brighton next up in the league at a time when they've relieved Hyypia of his managerial duties. His replacement, Chris Hughton, knows the league well and is a very capable manager and I'll not be surprised to see them move up the table.
 
It's nigh on impossible to predict what eleven Bob will put out. He could use the occasion to try out some untested players and formations. Last season the cup saw the emergence of Diego Poyet who ultimately went onto to scoop the player of the year award of course. He played a massive part in securing our safety and cannot be ignored whatever folk may feel about his departure.
 
It would be nice to see another youngster come to the fore although I think they'll have to do it 90 minutes because it's hard to see us progressing beyond the 3rd round even if Rovers do field a slightly weakened squad.
 
The worse scenario is a draw of course so it might be worth putting a few quid on that ! I believe Pitcher is on standby for the replay !
 
Good luck if you are going and I do hope that we get a win. I'd never want to see us lose and in any case, a win would be good for morale. It'd be great to be in the 4th round draw and then..........who knows !
 
Come On You Reds !
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment