Friday 15 August 2014

No Shorts But Here's Hoping.......

If you knew sushi like I know sushi...........

Bloody typical.............I miss a Tuesday game despite being in the smoke and it turns out to be a goal-fest and a grand performance. The self same thing happened a couple of years ago when we played Cardiff at home and in fact, I was in Camden to be precise on both occasions.  

I caught up with some family and had a really nice meal in Sen Nin a Japanese restaurant. The food is cooked in front of you at your table in a very entertaining style by the chef. Tuesdays are the best days to go as it is half price. 

I'm not a great fan of fish but there are alternatives and I opted for the steak...........very nice. Camden is quite a lively place and I'd highly recommend a visit to Sen Nin if you're in the area.

I digress, so back to the football. Yes, it seems we were rather pleasing on the eye on Tuesday with several good displays from those who'd not played on Saturday. Gomez slotted in well at right back I believe and we will need to accommodate him in the team somewhere if we want to hold onto him. Maybe he'll play against Derby next Tuesday should Solly be rested.

I had reports of a good passing game in the spruced up Valley where, I understand the food has improved but sadly not the beer. Oh well, you can't have it all and in any case I usually don't drink in the Valley aside from when we have an extended hiatus like last year's Doncaster game.

I always look forward to my trips to the Valley ( even during last season ) and given all that has occurred during the summer, tomorrow even more so, if that is possible. For the first game last term I wore my shorts and I'm sure they played a part in securing a win for us but sadly tomorrow they may not get an airing as I'd hoped as the sunny weather has disappeared quicker than a Huddersfield Town manager.

Despite an absence of shorts I'm optimistic of a good performance and probably a draw from the lads. Big Bob has some selection issues of the nice kind and that's good. One hopes that the league cup game will have further lifted confidence and team spirit and increased competition for places can only be an added positive ingredient.

The fixture computer or at least Nigel who programmes it has not been very kind to us. Wigan and Derby at for our first two home games isn't exactly what you'd have asked for but perhaps we're better playing them now before they really hit their straps.

Wigan manager Uwe Rosler was, of course, previously in charge of last Saturday's oppo, Brentford and so nearly matched his replacement's achievement of promotion. Possibly, had they been devoid of Europa Cup commitments last season they'd have gone up automatically. 

They will be a tough nut to crack and give us us a good idea of how we can expect to do this season. Callum McManaman will pose a big threat and I'm surprised he hasn't been snapped up by a Prem club. However, at 23 years old he has time on his side and it's good to see a promising youngster not jump ship at the earliest opportunity.

It's early days in terms of trying to predict what Bob will do ( he caught most of us out with team selection on Tuesday ) but I'd be surprised if he changed the starting much if at all. I'm so full of anticipation of seeing our new players and style of play.

Here's to tomorrow and catching up with folk and hopefully seeing our Athletic beat the other Athletic.......shorts or no shorts !

Come On You Reds !

No comments:

Post a Comment